Saturday, September 24, 2005

Last Will of Thomas Phelps Sr. 1849
























Thomas Phelps Sr.-Last Will and Testament

Person County Court, June Term 1849


I Thomas Phelps of the County of Person and state of North Carolina do make and publish this my last Will and Testament, hereby revoking all others ...

In the first place I desire that all my just debts shall be paid by my executor as soon as may be convenient after my decease.

I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth Phelps the sum of one hundred dollars to her and her heirs forever.

I will and bequeath to my son Richard A. Phelps fifty acres of land with the improvements to be laid off in the northwest corner of my land so as to include the dwelling house where the said Richard A. Phelps now resides and to adjoin the tract of land deeded by me to Thomas H. Phelps and Richard A. Phelps to hold to him and his heirs forever.

An the rest and residue of my estate both real and personal, I desire and so will that it shall remain in the possession of my wife Polly Phelps to be used and employed by her under the advice and discretion of my executor, herein after named, for her own support and maintenance and also to enable her to raise, educate, and support, free of charge, my two youngest children--To Wit, Martha Phelps and James Phelps until the shall arrive at lawful ages

Then my will and desire is that all my property mentioned in this bequest as such first an shall be remaining shall be equally divided between my wife Polly Phelps, and to my two children Martha Phelps and James Phelps, and in case my wife should marry before my said children shall arrive at the age of twenty one years---Then I direct that the desire above named shall take place immediately

I here nominate and appoint my son Richard Phelps executor of this my last Will and Testament. An Witness thereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this ninth of December 1848.

his

Thomas x Phelps

mark


In Presence of: Wm.Whitfield
James O. Bradsher



Transcribed by-- Latham Mark Phelps 2002

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Great Great Great Aunt's name was Henrietta Phelps who was a Nurse midwife😮🫢? Her Brother's name was John Henry Phelps, Mother's name Charlotte Ann Bennett and Husband's name was Elijah Phelps😮🫢.