Monday, September 12, 2005


Last Will and Testament of James Phelps

March 5th 1785- Will Book B Page 155

Caswell County, North Carolina


In the Name of God Amen I James Phelps of Caswell County Province of
North

Carolina being Weak of body but of Perfect Sense and Memory do make
and Declare this my last will and Testament in Manner and form following
First I Recommend my Soul to Almighty God Who gave it me, hoping to
Receive it again at the Last day in a Joyfull Resurrection. My body to
be Buried in a Christian like Manner as for What Worldly Estate it has
Pleased God to Bless me with after my Funeral Expenses & Just debts are
paid I order and dispose of the following manner,


1st -- I Give and bequeath to my Son William Fifty Pounds Currant
money to be paid out of my Estate.



2nd -- I lend the Remainder Part of my Estate With my land to my
Beloved wife Mary During her natural Life or Widowhood She raising my
children out of it as I have heretofore done.



3rd -- I Give and Bequeath after my Wifes decease to my Youngest Son
Ambrose that part of my Land Lying on the North side of the Branch being the part
whereon I now live.



4th -- I Give and bequeath to my Next youngest son Obadiah the other
part of my land to him and his heirs only my mother to have her Lifetime
thereon if She Chooses.


5 thly -- The Remainder Part of my Estate after my Wifes decease I
Give to be Equally divided Among the Rest of my children to wit Reubin,
Thomas, Larkin, Lucy, Betty, and Patty. If my Wife should marry then to
be Equally divided among my Six Children Reubin, Thomas, Larkin, Lucy,
Betty and Patty and my Wife.



6 thly -- My Will and desire is that if Either of my Eight youngest
children should die Without Lawfull Issue that their part be Equally divided amongst
the Survivers of them.



7 thly -- And lastly I appoint my beloved Wife Mary my Executrix and
my Son William my Executor to this my last Will and Testament. In
witness Whereof I have hereunto Set my hand and Seal this fifth of March
1785



Seal



Signed Sealed & Delivered in the presence of }

Shadrack Hudson, Wm Cromwell

James Williamson

Caswell County October Court 1788



This Will is was duly proved in open Court by the Oaths of Shadrack
Hudson, John Phelps, William Cromwell and in the manner as entered of
Record upon the Minutes of this Term and Ordered that the said Will be admited to
Record.


Test AE Murphy Clk



Executors gratified


TRANSCRIBED BY: Latham Mark Phelps -- March 2004

No comments: